2/21/14

Hooked on Swoon

 
 



I was beyond excited when I heard about this group show. I've always been a fan of the paintings of Carol Morrison; her plien air studies of our Nova Scotian landscape truly capture the simple beauty of the area I like to call home. So when I heard about this challenge, I jumped in feet first!
 
 
This juried event, asked rug hookers to choose a piece by a Swoon artist as their inspiration. Both the inspiration piece and the hooked work will be shown together in this unique show.


 
 
Carol Morrison's Pumpkin Paddler, 2013
My rendition of Carol Morrison's pumpkin paddler.

 
 
Last summer I was fortunate enough to organize a show for Carol at the Bread Gallery in Brooklyn along with metal sculptor G. A. Jank. Since August I have carried around copy of their handbill in my car, simply because I love the image so much.
 
I was so impressed by Carol's collection of work based on Hants County that when Brant Eisner, Swoon's director, put out the call to artists for a group show  I knew right away I wanted to hook Carol's paintings... in fact I didn't want to hook just one... I had 3 images in mind that I just knew I had to translate into fibre!
 

 

I'm not kidding about my excitement.... I started hooking the White Cliffs, St Croix River on Christmas Eve... I just couldn't stop myself!

 
 
 
 
My work in progress of the White Cliffs of Saint Croix.
My inspiration for the White Cliff of Saint Croix by Carol Morrison.
 

Now that these two are finished I want to attempt one of her back lit winter scenes...

 
 

Hooked On Swoon – A group show of hooked work, inspired by Swoon artists!



Show Runs: Sat, March 01, 2014 - 2:00pm to Sat, March 29, 2014 - 6:00pm

Opening Reception: Sat, March 01, 2014 - 2:00pm to 5:00pm
  



 
 
Please join us for the opening reception Saturday, March 1st from 2 – 5 pm.




 

Swoon Fine Art and Antiques
 
1410 Hammonds Plains Road
Hammonds Plains, NS
B4B 1P6 
 
   
Hours:
Monday - Friday: 12 - 6
Saturday: 10 - 6
Sunday: Closed
 
 



No comments: