1/7/15

A look back at 2014...

2014 was a whirlwind for me, so many wonderful, exciting and heartbreaking things took place. Even though I was busy working at the museum all summer I still managed to create new art work consistently almost all year long. I even managed to teach myself a few new things when it comes to felting and I really feel like I'm starting to establish my own distinct style.
 
Who would have thought so many years ago that this city slicker would become a fibre artist living along the Avon River Valley. You never can tell, you just have to make the most of it as you go and as my little necklace from my dad says, follow your heart!
 
So as I prepare my goals for 2015, here's a little look back at some of the highlights of the past year...
 
 
Take Me to the River for Pre-Shrunk at Argyle Fine Art

Waiting for You for Pre-Shrunk at Argyle Fine Art
 
How Does you Garden Grow? for Pre-Shrunk at Argyle Fine Art

Turn the Page for Pre-Shrunk at Argyle Fine Art

Day is Done for Pre-Shrunk at Argyle Fine Art
 
What started as a stormy sky became a wild ocean

Bigger than Me, created for the 16th annual Great Little Art Show
 
Mister Fluff putting his mark on the new bag of sweaters

Andy taking a nap where he isn't supposed to!
 
Big Tuna for Shackwacky in Yarmouth

The beginning of a piece inspired by a Carol Morrison painting.

I dreamnt I found this Barbie so I promptly woke
up and found her for a steal of a deal on Ebay!

My special place - Sylvia!

Sylvia is where I keep all of my favourite things,
including old cameras and Barbie cases.

My collection of characters!

Dear old Wookie, keeping an eye on my tins

Josie finally found the love of her life in Tonto :)

A wee peek into my aboriginal themed collection



Zombie Skipper's guarding the perimeter of my fort!

My outdoor shadow keeping track of all my moves :)

A mini piece I did for Shackwacky in Yarmouth

A mini piece I did for Shackwacky in Yarmouth

A mini piece I did for Shackwacky in Yarmouth

A mini piece I did for Shackwacky in Yarmouth

Everyone needs a yeti tea cozy

This fella sold in no time!

Excellent Value Village find!

Sloths!!!
 
Two little coyotes

Jakalope


My indoor shadow trying to be incognito

Iris petals for my piece inspired by Carol Morrison

Mister famously crashing another photo shoot!

Twice this year I upgraded my bins of wool - I am now up to 30!

Sadly, during the super moon in August, Prince Andrew went
for a walkabout and took his forever nap in the forest.

Even more heart breaking Mister Fluff
passed unexpectedly 6 weeks later.

This summer the museum in Avondale kept me busy;
here I ran the gift shop... 

I organized weekly arts programming and started
the Artist's Landing Studio and Gallery...
 
AND to top it off I ran the café with help from the lovely Emma!
Bryan showing off his giant yummy trout!


Julia from Fibre Circle checking out the article about "Hooked on Swoon"
 
My hooking in Rug Hooking Magazine, once again
a piece inspired by a Carol Morrison painting.

 
I decided to start a rather large feltscape that I could pick away
at during the Painting and Fibre Circles at the ARHS museum
 
Building up the layers

Evergreens
I ended up changing my mind and lifted up
the water to add three-dimensional waves

Suddenly I had an idea...

Let's turn that chair into a "Rocking River" chair!
 
I finally had my first boat ride along the Avon River - Amazing!

I just love looking at the Avon River Valley from the POV of the sea.


Shining Sturgeon a piece inspired by my boat ride along the Avon

Whale of a Tale, inspired by Liz's whale spotting in the river

Thought I'd try something new with this Iquana

Mister's very last photo bomb

Spider Monkey

Shortly after Mister passed the universe led us to these two
little fellas who were living in the woods along the Dawson.

Leonard has established himself as my new assisntant.

Evie might just be the sweetest little girl ever :)

I didn't realize it at first, but my "Rocking River"
chair was absolutely meant for kittens!


Isn't that just the cutest thing ever?

Another felted piece inspired by my rug hooking that was
inspired by a painting by you know who - Carol Morrison!
 
Leonard is determined to lend a hand!
 
One of my pieces from my show at
the Bread Gallery in October
Kelly Mitchelmore, myself and Ann Whalen at the opening
of our show at the Bread Gallery in Brooklyn.


Bryan and the babies taking a nap

Wooly bear caterpillar!

My step-mother challenged me to make slittens - challenge accepted!

Oh Lenny :)

Such a sensitive wolf!

The kids absolutely love their chair!


Just look at the face - come on! Adorable!

A red tailed hawk inspired by my friend Kim

I decided to try another insect - this time a grasshopper

Getting ready for 2015, first thing on the list - Preshrunk for Argyle Art...
Lenny goes where the art goes!

Evie doing her best Andy impression :)

Since the kitties like to destroy nature we opted for no tree
this year and this was our little xmas shrine - complete with
 my latest Value Village Barbie find - Merry Christmas to me!









2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Pretty amazing my friend. I love how you integrate your experiences and everyday into your art --almost immediately! You are an inspiration. Thilled to see this 2014 body of work!
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the beautiful moments filled with yarns, kitties, nature and art. I am proud to own a few of your pieces.
Kisses, Joëlle xox