2/21/15

Forbidden Love, the making of...

You have to be patient when you are working with fibre. Things need to happen in a  certain order, one layer at a time, and although many may think that needle felting is quick and easy, it certainly is not if you want a piece that will hold up over the test of time.
 
 
When I started this piece I only had one thing in mind.... Cat Person/Dog Person - it needed to have at least one cat and one dog depicted in it, otherwise, I didn't have a sweet clue as to what the scene was going to be.

 
I approach all my feltscapes as if I'm building the earth from scratch.... first there's the sky, then some land... don't forget to include the atmosphere... you need that before the plants can grow! Even though I try to go with the flow and let the scene reveal itself, I need to think ahead a wee bit and decide a few things, like what kind of day is it going to be, sunny or overcast...
 
 
 
I'm all about the detail when I'm felting little homesteads. I imagine myself walking around the property deciding where to plant my favourite flowers. Each and every single house gets wild roses. That's just the way it goes!
 
 

The neighbours new house just wasn't working for me...

 
...so I added an addition!
 
 
Still needs more roses!
 
 
With the houses nearly complete it was time to add a wee collie, I took my inspiration from one of my favourite Avon perfume bottles. Not the first time an Avon bottle served as inspiration for a feltscape.
 
 
 
This guy has some attitude!
 
 
I always make sure to test the feltscape out by low light to make sure it still reads ok.
 
 
Now that I'm pretty much sure it's complete the entire piece gets a misting and is ready to be pressed.
 
 
 
After some last minute shadows my tabby is complete...
 
 
...and pup looks a little less cranky :)
 


Forbidden Love is now finished and ready to make it's way into Halifax for the opening of Cat Person/Dog Person at Argyle Fine Art next Saturday, February 28th, at 1:30pm.

If you are in the area be sure to come on by and check out all the wonderful pieces inspired by our common love for our furry friends!


 
Argyle Fine Art
 
1559 Barrington Street
Halifax, NS
B3J 1Z7
902-425-9456
 
 
Hours:
Tues - Sat, 10am - 5:30
Sunday and Monday by appointment only

No comments: